Erin's Facebook Page

Adaptive Housing: Help for Wounded Warriors





The VA offers grants to help service members and veterans disabled during their military service.  Three types of grants are available:



Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant

The SAH grant of up to $70,465 is generally used to create a wheelchair accessible home.


Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant

The SHA grant is UP to $14,093 and can be used to assist veterans with mobility throughout their homes when the need is due to blindness or the loss of the use of hands or arms.


Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) grant

The TRA grant is available to eligible veterans and seriously injured active duty service members who are temporarily living in a home owned by a family member.  Under the TRA program, veterans, and service members may combine SAH and TRA grants up to $30,935, or SHA and TRA grants up to $5,523.


The goal of all three grant programs is to provide a barrier-free living environment that offers a level of independent living for disabled service members and vets.  Yearly adjustments to grants may be made based on construction costs.


For information, home adaptation grants, go to   For links to organizations and volunteer groups that provide support for wounded warriors’ housing needs, go to the National Resource Directory at